I heart the Custis Trail

This weekend I had to abandon the Saturday TNT 12 mile long run to in order to execute my first duties as the Springbrook High School Cross Country Assistant Coach.  We had practice at 7am in Silver Spring, MD and TNT started at 7am all the way out in Arlington.  As excited as I am to coach, I also was bummed to miss a 12 miler on the Custis Trail in Arlington that included running the hill at the Iwo Jima Memorial which is at the very end of the Marine Corps Marathon that I am training for at the end of October.

It just so happens that the Army Ten Miler program I am helping coach on Sundays was also running the Custis Trail on Sunday!  They did 6 miles.  I wanted to run the full 12 in the morning, but at the end of the first 6 the sky opened up to torrential downpours of rain.  I like running in the rain, but not when it's raining buckets.  That's just no fun at all!

I waited until the late evening and drove over to the Iwo Jima memorial in Rosslyn to park the car with Josh, Beenie and Zooey.  Zooey ran with me all the way up the Custis trail to North Stafford Street where we completed another 6 miles or more in the evening.  I know it's not a conventional way of doing a long run, but Bart Yasso said it's okay to split up your training like that... and he's been running for a while, so I think his advice is good advice.

The Custis Trail is probably the least favorite run of every single one of my running buddies.  However I did a 6 mile out and back on it twice in one day!  I love it because it is constant hills.  Huge ones.  Little ones.  Even a switchback!  For some odd reason, I absolutely LOVE running hills.  I like how they allow some muscles to work and others to (sort of) rest while the terrain changes and I also like having little tiny goals within a longer run... "If I could only get to the top of this hill".  Etc.  :)

So, I'm a happy girl and I have a tired doggy.  I am so proud of Zooey for running the whole 6 with me!  He was tired at the end, but he made it the whole way.  I am so grateful to have such a happy carefree and willing running buddy.

Next week is a drop in mileage to 8 miles for the long run.  So stay tuned!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts