New pics and a running update...

Hello cyber friends.

Check out the pics I posted on my fundraising page of my brother Christopher and I:
http://pages.teamintraining.org/nca/corps10/atehan

It's been a while since my last post.  I've been busy training and getting ready for the next school year!  I started coaching cross country full time this week after school every day.  It's been fun getting to know the kids and I enjoy running with them when I'm not in full supervisory mode... a lot of kids like to sneak a walk into their run... imagine that!! ;-)

Before I fill you in on what I've been up to, I just wanted to share about my 8.3 mile run from my house to Anacostia and back.  Josh came with me so that I would be safe (it's a fairly quiet area with high crime) and we went at dusk.  Sounds crazy, maybe, but there are a lot of police patrolling to keep runners safe.   The views on this run were breathtaking!  We took two bridges, the first being the 11th Street SE bridge.  The view from the park there is of the Navy Yard ship the USS Barry and of Nationals Stadium (which was all lit up for a game).  The South Capital Street bridge crossing back over the Anacostia river is really cool. The run was gorgeous but for some reason the mileage was really difficult for me.  Oh well, I guess I'm just tired from my first week of school.  Check out the SoCap bridge:



Back to last weekend... last week's long run was a "rest and repair" 8 miler on the Capitol Crescent Trail from the Barnes and Noble in Bethesda heading towards Georgetown.  It was incredibly humid, but I had the honor of running with a woman who shared her story before the run.  She is in her second year with TNT, raising money and running in honor of her mother who lost her war with cancer a year ago and her brother in law who is currently fighting his.  Running with another partner really makes all the difference in the world on a hot muggy DC morning.  Especially when it's with someone like that.  I have really enjoyed the camaraderie of this experience.  That's what keeps me running, along with the support of you all and the great feeling I have when I'm all done for the day!

On Sunday I ran 6 miles with the DC Road Runners Club Army Ten Miler training program where I'm a coach to the turtles of the group.  Slow and steady are we.  These people have varying running experience, but they're all incredibly dedicated to their fitness which is always inspiring.  It was a hot, muggy, and rainy morning in Georgetown, but we made it through as always!  It felt good to run 14 miles in one weekend.

Speaking of 14 miles... I'm running that on Saturday and 7 on Sunday for a grand total of 21 miles this weekend! That's crazy bananas!  13.5 miles is the furthest I've gone to date (that was last fall while I was training for the Philadelphia Half Marathon), so this weekend is another milestone weekend for me.

Wish me luck!  More later.  :)

Comments

Popular Posts