Things I'll miss about DC: Volume I

Josh and I are moving to Greenfield, MA on August 20th of this year.  I am very excited as I move forward to the next chapter of my life with Josh and my career, however this move is very bittersweet as the District of Columbia has been my home for more than five and a half years.  I also consider this to be the first place I've really lived as an independent adult, so I have very strong positive feelings about this place.  I am trying to visit the places I love as much as possible and squeeze in a few things that I've never gotten around to in the time I've lived here.  I'll be using this blog to post about it for the next few weeks.

Our 2010 DC Ragnar Relay Team with
my DC Road Runners Club peeps:
Marian, Natalia, Kristi and Ellen

Number 1: Running with the ladies (and gentlemen) of the DC Road Runners Club
I joined the club a little over two years ago, inspired by Josh's marathoning, to try and get some help getting into better running shape.  I signed up as a club member as well as a trainee with the Army Ten Miler training group.  I decided I wanted to try and push my running limits and also signed up for the 2009 Baltimore Half Marathon a few weeks after the Army Ten Miler.

The training was great (I've now moved on to coaching the same program the last two years and have also become a Road Runners Club of America Certified Distance Coach), but what I'll miss most is the people I've met.  I have had the opportunity to run and befriend the greatest group of inspiring, motivating and wonderful women.  These women have lifted me up when I was down, given me the motivation I was struggling to keep going and continue training... and they have made my time in DC so much richer.  Our friendships have even gone beyond the roads and trails and these people are my real friends that I can count on.  My heart aches when I think about my running and social life after DC.  I hope you all come to visit.  Kristi, Natalia, Ellen, Marian, Pauline, Paula, Victoria... you are welcome any time, my home is always open to you.

Number 2: Busboys and Poets Restaurants
In the five years I have lived in the District, my diet has gone through a lot of changes.  I became a vegetarian about three or four years ago, and then recently went all the way removing all animal products (except honey... I've spoken with plenty of honey harvesters and you just cannot convince me that bees are oppressed, sorry) and became vegan.  I have just read too many books and seen too many documentaries on factory farming, animal cruelty and the benefits of a plant-based diet to continue eating animal products of any kind.

Yellow gazpacho
Veggie Burger with fries and Tempe Panini with sweet potato fries

The three (soon to be four) Busboys and Poets restaurants in the DC are have been instrumental in aiding this fringe dietary transition without making me feel too much like an outsider.  Any of these restaurants are a wonderful place to go to with friends of all kinds of dietary differences without anyone have to make any sacrifices.  That's all I ask for is choice.  I don't need a funny look from a waiter or chef, and I don't want to be a huge pain in the ass asking for special treatment.  I just want to go somewhere and not have to order a beef burger.  This places goes above and beyond and not only has meat options, but clearly labels vegetarian and vegan options on their menu (infused in their regular menu, not separate) and are choices all on their own.  I don't have to order "the vegan sandwich".  I can just order "the tempe panini" or the "calzone".  I don't feel like a weirdo here.  They also explain the differences between regular and vegan wines on their menu (which I didn't realize before today!) and really appreciate.   Oh, and did I mention the food here is GREAT?!?  Josh and I love it.  We come here all the time, but were really excited to dine there for their special Vegan Valentine's Day three course meal.  This place will always have a special place in my heart.  It will be on the list of places to eat at when we come back to visit for sure.

Comments

Popular Posts