Training recap: miles and miles of running and a giant bagel...

So it's been a while since I checked in and I wanted to share a few tidbits about my training, so here goes nothing....

Two weeks after the post below (June, 12th) I joined the TNT MD/VA teams (i'm with just TNT DC) to run 5 miles on the Custis trail in VA.  I met some pretty neat women who ran with me most of the way, but of course they are both on the VA team so I had failed yet again to meet a new DC running buddy.  After that run they had  a brunch and ceremony for honored teammates... many people are running in honor of people who are currently struggling with some kind of blood cancer.  Thanks to you guys, and the beginning of the brunch I got to pick out of the swag bag because I had raised over $500 (when in fact I had raised well over $1,000 by that point)!  It was nothing too exciting, just a little TNT grocery bag but it was the accomplishment of me having raised so much money already for such a great cause that really made my day :)

The weekend after that (June 19th) I returned to my hometown to run in the Shelter Island 10k with my Dad.  That was pretty special because this was his first 10k ever and only his second road race in his 50 years of life!  The afternoon was super hot and sunny, but the crowds got us through and we finished with a really solid time!  I am really proud that he was able to get himself out the door to run 6.2 miles!  That's a HUGE accomplishment... now I only hope he keeps it up :)  The 10k that day also served as my long run for the week, which was supposed to be 6 miles :)

The following weekend I returned to DC and training with TNT to complete 7 miles on the Capitol Crescent/Rock Creek Park Trail including parts of the Georgetown waterfront!  I got to run with a really nice girl who was my same pace and we helped keep each other going because it was hotter and more  humid than a sauna that morning!  That 7miler wiped me out completely... at least until I got to the end and saw bagels and Powerade waiting for us!  I chugged down some red Powerade and then rooted around in the bagel bag, only to find this monstrosity hiding amongst the little ones!  I have never seen a bagel so big in my life!  Crazy!  No, I didn't eat it... I didn't have that much of an appetite after such a hot run, but I made sure to get a good photo to share with my readers.  In that moment that I found that bagel all of the soreness and humidity evaporated and I was my silly self again... and was ready for the coming week of training!

Comments

Popular Posts