Training so far...

So if you're following along with my progess then you need to know that group run #1 never happened.  For me, at least!  I attended the event, but it was also a running clinic beforehand and so by the time the team was ready to run two hours later, I had to head to work.  C'est la vie.  Another long run on my own.

The picture above is of me and some of my TNT mentors stretching to go on a "long run" the following week, during Memorial Day weekend.  I put long run in quotes because we went out for three miles, which for me is pretty short... but  honestly that day's heat and humidity made it feel a heck of a lot longer.

The heat and humidity is already in full force even though it's still only early June.  Training in this weather, and I'm just being honest here, absolutely sucks.  It makes every mile seem two or three times longer than it really is.  However, running to raise money for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Foundation in honor of my brother Christopher has really helped me to finish all of my runs and even push myself as much as possible.

Last weekend (Saturday June 5th) I had to miss what was to be my second group run due to CPR/First Aid training that is required for my summer job as a camp counselor and my coaching position with DC Road Runners Club.  It was to be 4 miles, but I ended up running 5.8.  Josh and I took the doggies for a walk through the woods in Rock Creek park... and basically they all abandoned me (it was pre-planned, never fear!) and I had to run home.  That 5.8 miles was one of the toughest runs I've done EVER.  Even harder than any of the half marathons I've done.  I know the weather is only going to get worse, so I just thank goodness I have Christopher watching over me during these runs... and I'm also very happy with my recently purchased Garmin Forerunner 305 which helps remind me how close I am to being done.

So, keep me in your thoughts on the really hot humid days.  I'm probably outside running and hating every minute of it... but trying my best to keep the end result as well as my supporters in mind to get me through.  Thanks for reading.  Stay cool, it's hot out there!

If you want to keep up with my fundraising progress for LLS, then you can visit my fundraising page here: http://pages.teamintraining.org/nca/corps10/atehan

Comments

Popular Posts