Made in Jamaica: A documentary



Last week I had the pleasure of hosting my old friend Christine from Peace Corps Jamaica while she was in town for a job interview. I happened to read in the paper that the DC Film Festival was going to be showing a film about Jamaican music and Politics called Made in Jamaica the night Chris would be in town. Of course I had to buy tickets!

The movie showcases more than twenty Jamaican Reggae and Dancehall artists that still live in Jamaica today. Throughout the movie we heard live music performed by these artists that had lyrics focusing on themes about political responsibility, life in the ghetto, slavery and colonization, Bob Marley, women's role in society and many other things.

The footage was fantastic and the music really took me back to the good times of my Peace Corps service in Jamaica. After all of the crazy stuff I went through during my two years in Jamaica, I really do miss being there sometimes. There is no other place like it on earth. Check out the video above for a brief description of the movie. I hope a lot of people watch this movie and support the artists in it. The island of Jamaica and her people need all they help they can get.

Comments

Popular Posts