I gotta feva... and the only prescription...is more MARATHONS?!?

Today was a GREAT running day for me mentally and physically.  The long run with the group today was 12.  The group seemed bigger than ever, too and I am not sure if that means we've signed up more people for the program or if the weather just drew people out of bed this morning... either way it was pretty awesome!

At the end of my run it was still in the 70's and the humidity is at 50%.  I know for a fact that's why I had a good training day.  I really needed this though because training has been rough lately with the high heat and humidity in DC which really drains you even after only a few miles.

Anyway, I digress... let's get back to the title of this post.  Today I met a man in a black (always baffling to me to see someone in black in the summer) Baltimore marathon shirt.  He asked me how many miles I was running today and I told him 12 in preparation for the Marine Corps Marathon.  The nice gentleman then asked me if I had ever run any half marathons before... I told him yes I've done 4!  Well he really made me feel good 9 miles into my 12 miler because he told me that by the look and sound of it I was going to do just fine in the MCM!  Ahhhh little ego boosts like really help get me through!  I caught up with him later and asked him out of curiosity how many marathons he'd done in the past because he had mentioned that he ran the MCM 3 times.  He responded by saying thirty something... MCM 3 times, NYC 3 times, Athens, Cayman Islands with only 68 other runners in the heat.  At one point a few years ago he did a marathon a month for 14 months in a row!  AMAZING!  As I ran away from him he yelled out to me... "Sign up for New York!"  It seems the more I talk to marathoners, the more this whole training and racing thing is like a drug.... a drug that is good for you!  I've met very few people in my life who have only run one marathon.  Is this what my life has in store for me?  I think I'll just keep focused on this one first :)

The pic above is of me after my run this morning... holding the ugly neon green and purple visor that I have apparently earned.  I was told today we have to wear them during the race because it helps the coaches and our families find us in a sea of other runners.  Yeah yeah I get it, but visors are so out right now!  Anyone out there want to design a new hat for TNT that stands out but doesn't make me look like a total dweeb?  Thanks!  That's all for now, folks!  Enjoy your weekend :)

Comments

Popular Posts